Charges upgraded against man who left halfway house to attack girlfriend

Published 8:15 am Thursday, February 3, 2022

A man arrested in Rosepine earlier this week after he allegedly left a halfway house without permission to break into his ex-girlfriend’s home and assault her has received additional charges that include rape and attempted murder, according to Vernon Parish authorities.

Raymond Louis Williams, 40, of Jonesville,was arrested on Jan. 30 and initially charged with aggravated domestic abuse assault, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and unauthorized entry into an inhabited dwelling.

Sheriff Sam Craft said that as a result of the ongoing investigation into the incident, Williams was additionally charged on Wednesday with first-degree rape, false imprisonment, attempted first-degree murder and aggravated domestic abuse battery by strangulation.

Williams remains in the Vernon Parish Jail with no bond set on any charges.

A detainer for the Louisiana Department of Probation and Parole has also been placed on Williams.

According to Craft, Vernon Parish authorities were first contacted about Williams at 10:37 a.m. Sunday when medical personnel at a local hospital reported a 39-year-old woman in their care had been badly beaten.

When deputies arrived at the hospital, Craft said the woman told them Williams had been responsible for her injuries.

She told detectives Williams was on parole and was a resident of a halfway house in Concordia Parish. The night before the attack, the woman said Williams had texted her, indicating he wanted to come to her residence that night.

“The victim stated that she told Williams not to come to her residence and she fell asleep. The victim indicated that she later awoke to find Williams in her bedroom. At that time Williams physically attacked her, causing significant injuries to her,” Craft said.

The victim was later able to convince Williams to take her to the hospital for her injuries after promising him she would not tell anyone he had caused the injuries.

Once at the hospital, Craft said the victim alerted the medical staff at her first opportunity that Williams had attacked her.

During the investigation, detectives confirmed Williams had left the halfway house without permission. They also learned Williams had 35 prior arrests, and that a substantial number of those had been for violent offenses.

A manhunt for Williams went on for several hours before Rosepine Police Chief Delbert Keel and three Rosepine officers located the victim’s vehicle in the Rosepine area at 4 p.m.

Keel and the officers conducted a felony traffic stop and took Williams into custody without incident.

The victim suffered significant injuries from the attack. As of Wednesday, authorities said she has been released from the hospital and is recovering at an undisclosed location.